Causes of Canker Sores
There is no definitive answer as to what causes a canker sore. It is thought that several factors work together to cause these sores to form. These factors include:
• Sensitivity to food-eating foods such as acidic fruits, chocolate, coffee, nuts, eggs or strawberries can all irritate the mucosal lining of the mouth.
• Injury to the oral cavity-biting the cheek in error, sports injury, dental work, or aggressive tooth brushing can all damage the mouth.
• Allergies to different foods.
• Lack of iron, folic acid, zinc or Vitamin B-12.
• An allergic reaction to different types of oral bacteria.
• Presence of Helicobacter pyloria, a bacteria that causes ulcers.